It was Thursday Morning April 8th, 2010. I was sitting at the front desk at the gym when we were located off Mendon Road. The business had been open just about 6 months and we were struggling. I was losing about $5,000. a month had one employee who was walking all over me and come to find out stealing from me. I had no clue how I was going to pull it all together and keep it going. I had clients depending on me and not to mention my family who was depending on me and at the time we were expecting our second child that October. I remember vividly sitting at my desk clueless on how I would get out of this mess. I was paralyzed. Than I opened my email inbox.
Before I talk about the email I wanted to share with you a story. The story about my business and why this email was so impactful. You see this month Athletes Equation will be celebrating the 5th anniversary of being open. In those 5 years. That day in 2010 there is no way I would have told you I would be writing this blog post. From the moment I opened the doors to Athletes Equation I have been through my fair share of shit. Enough stuff that would take down most people. While I have been business my sister passed away unexpectedly and in the first month I was opened, lost both my grandparents who were like a second Mom and Dad to me, Had major knee surgery and could not work for 3 months, had a Birth of a child, had a Divorce, and I could keep going. Lots of shit. But, The email I got on 4/8/10 changed my life and helped me handle all of the shit that has come at me. Fast forward to 2014 nnothing short of death will stop me from going where I want to be and I don’t even think death will stop me because I believe I have a legacy that will live on with my children, friends, and people I have touched. Much like the man who sent this email over 4 years ago.
What the hell could make an email so powerful. It wasn’t much. But, it had everything to do with me as it did with the words in the email. It was powerful as I was ready to listen. That is the power of messages and it is also the weakness. The most powerful of messages are useless unless someone is ready to listen. Being in the fitness industry I have seen hundreds of people come in to my gym and some are ready to listen and others aren’t. On 4/8/10 I was ready to listen to the message of that email. Today I hope you are too ready to listen because I know the message in this blog post will change your life just like it did for me. It’s message will make you bulletproof for all the shit that typically gets in your way of success.
On to the man who set me the email. Pat Rigsby is one of the brightest people I have had the pleasure of meeting. He is a fitness business consultant and has help countless people turn around their businesses and lives. I met Pat in 2009 and have followed him ever since. He sends out an almost daily email with information on how to build a better business. He is one of the most positive and intelligent people I know. Let me put it this way. When my wife told me she wanted a divorce I made two calls that day. First to my parents and second to Pat. Enough said on the respect I have for the guy. Now, this email he sent was not written just for me it was just a email marketing message trying to inspire and help me grow as a business person. But, what made it so powerful was I was ready to listen, take action and believe in its message. I know you are too. So, here it is….
7 Tips for Guaranteed Success!
- Stop blaming your circumstances! – guess what shit happens. It happens to everyone. It isn’t personal. It is life. There is always someone out there who has it worse but is living better than you. So, stop playing the blame game and move on.
- Stop blaming other people! – Take responsibility for your own actions, your own mood, and your own success. I am guilty as charged. It is a hell of a lot easier to blame someone else than it is to take responsibility. But, it is a thousand times more rewarding to take responsibility and move on. You will be light years ahead of the rest of the population if you do this.
- Be persistent! – There is no such thing as an overnight success. If you believe in something and stick to it than you will eventually succeed. If you think that isn’t true than you really didn’t believe in it to begin with. Buy into yourself and what you are doing and you will succeed. It really is that simple.
- Do what you should be doing! – “your actions are either moving you closer or further from your goals.” -Pat Rigsby. This is true in business, fitness, competitive athletics, life, etc. Trying to save money for retirement and you eat out every night. You won’t reach your goals. Trying to lose 10 lbs and you drink beers 4 nights a week. Yup, you won’t get there. Do what you should be doing!
- Invest in others! – Nothing and I mean nothing will make you feel accomplished like helping someone out. Taking your time, your money or your knowledge and sharing it with someone who needs it. I belong to a networking group called BNI. The philosophy of this group is that givers gain. Give something to someone else and it will come back to you 100x more.
- Work on YOU everyday! – If you are not trying to improve yourself daily, you are just on your path to death. Think I am being dramatic I am not. The nature of life is that you will decay until you die. Sounds grim, well it is. But, if you focus on improving yourself by taking classes, staying fit, doing things that add value to your life you will slow this process. There isn’t a person on the planet that can’t improve in some area of their life. Always work to improve!
- Focus on solutions, not problems! – Simply, build a no whining zone around you. Stop complaining when something is bad. Stop being so damn negative! There is enough of that on this planet to keep the negative pity party going without you. Find the positive in everything, find the solution to everything. When there is an obstacle in your way spend your energy getting over it not bitching about it.
So, here is where I end my post the same why Pat ended his email. Take a few minutes and digest these 7 tips. If you choose to live by them everything in your life just got a little bit easier. Success does not happen by accident. It happens when you make it happen.